Thursday 20 February 2014

Google versus Local.



-- --I'm writing about growing up on a Scottish croft after the war. I'm helped by the articles written by my mother during that time but couldn't find anything about strang holes in either collection, Leaning on a Gate or An Upland Place. Strang hole's not a bonny name.. Suitable then, I recalled for having something to do with septic tanks.
I asked my husband if he knew the word but he said that as he came from posh ,nearby Elgin, such a word would hardly figure in the drawing-rooms of his forbears.
 I consulted our Scots dictionary- strang means urine- So I was kind of getting closer. I tried Google to little avail, then I asked the indefatigable Brian who chairs our writing group and, coming from North-east Scotland, is a rural loon and kens a'thin aboot sic matters.
Strang holes he remembered vividly. He wrote a whole A4 page on the subject, and yes, my friend, it certainly is something to so with septic tanks. So. From now on I won't trouble Google. Brian's the expert.


visit my website at:
www.janeyeadon.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment